Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Art of Steampunk



Whenever I go to a flea market, my eye is always naturally drawn to old industrial, mechanical, utilitarian objects, such as old pocket watches, hand tools, type writers, cameras, goggles, and anything with cogs and gears.  And sometimes, the rustier, the better! 

Over the years, I have come to learn that there is actually a name for this kind of style.  It's called "Steampunk".

Steampunk is inspired by science fiction and fantasy from the Victorian era.  It integrates all these things I've been collecting over the years, with a sometimes retro futuristic aesthetic.

I think for this blog, my pictures will describe the art of Steampunk much better than my words.  

Here are a few photos of some Steampunk style items I've discovered...

This super cool cast iron adjustable table is currently for sale on our website.

 There is nothing like the architecture of an old camera. 
 This is an old Kodak from the early 1900's

This Antique barber's chair is a good example of Victorian Futuristic Steampunk.

An Antique Triunial Magic Lantern and Candlestick Phone.



These Antique Brass Goggles with colored lenses will add a fashionable Steampunk flair to your wardrobe!

This Steampunk Lamp screams Futuristic Sci-Fi.


Steampunk is also an emerging art form.


 Steampunk artists are creating retro Sci-Fi art.  

 Steampunk art exhibits are becoming more popular in America and in Europe.


 Industrial Steampunk lighting and design is becoming more popular in home decor...


     
...as well as in the entertainment world, as you will notice, the set design for the 2013 Academy Awards was very Industrial Steampunk. (notice the large Hex nuts encasing the Oscar statues in the background). 


Edison bulbs were also used throughout the ceremony.



 
Steampunk has also inspired jewelry artists to recycle some old parts.



 You'll find these one of a kind Steampunk inspired "Timeless Pieces" on our website.
Each pendant is hand assembled by me.  I have been collecting old broken watches and turning them into Jewelry art pieces for over 20 years. 




 


2 comments:

thiet ke nha dep said...

thanks for post


thiet ke nha dep
nha xinh

Unknown said...

That toy horse all 'punked up caught my eye on Pinterest. I love it. I have been inspired to try my hand at making a couple of found object steampunk sculptures plus some jewellery. I love telling people about the world of Steampunk. It helps that I read H.G. Wells as a kid and I love the tv series Warehouse 13. Great photos in your blog!
Edith Tsch